CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge Daring Bakers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.

I chose to use a pumpkin Spice Doughnut hole recipe I found online and then added some extra spices that I enjoy in addition to what the recipe called for. I had extra pumpkin to use from my pumpkin cookies that I made a weekend or so ago and couldn't let it go to waste. They are rolled in cinnamon and sugar but if I ever make them again I might try a glaze too.

They may not look very good (a combination of my camera skills and the fact that it was my first time trying to form and cook doughnut holes) but they were super yummy. Trust me they weren't burnt despite how dark they look. I think it was a partly because of the orange color of the dough. So yummy in fact that we just kept eating them as they came out and were rolled in cinnamon and sugar. I finally had to put a hold on eating them until I could get at least a few on the plate for a picture.

All in all it was a fun challenge. It took a batch or two to get the sizing right but once that was mastered they came out well. Cooking with oil or should I say deep frying is not my favorite and you won't catch me doing it very often, if ever but with my sisters help it worked out well.




No comments:

Post a Comment